Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Frankfurt Book Fair: Count Down


It’s Wednesday evening and I am trying to figure out if I REALLY need to cart all this stuff with me, all the way to Germany…..?

The Frankfurt Book Fair runs from Wednesday October 15 through Sunday October 19 - but the action starts for me Monday, arriving in Germany in the late a.m., crashing out for a few hours of sleep, and then hooking up later in the day with friends and colleagues at the hotel bar. Meetings start on Tuesday with Italian publishers Mondadori Illustrati and Electa. I’ll also be pitching a new stock image service developed by Electa called PhotoService Electa. Wednesday through Saturday it will be pretty much non-stop appointments with various US publishers of art and photography books, pitching ideas and products developed by Mondadori, Electa, and now this new stock agency.

At the recent New England Book Sellers Association the talk was all gloom and doom, and a lot of fear about the economic downturn. I wonder if the talk will be the same at Frankfurt, only on a global scale. (I hope not! I need to get some business going).

Aside from meetings, there is sure to be time to investigate new leads, catch up with old friends and colleagues from around the world, and absorb the buzz of this great international rendez-vous of book lovers. I love this fair, and if I can just figure out how to get everything into my suitcase (while leaving a little room for at least one pair of new shoes that I am sure to dash out and buy) I will be in very good shape.


More to come next week…..



Historical Frankfurt Poster Image copyright Frankfurt Book Fair

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christina,

I am sure there will be plenty of buzz at the book fair and it will give you a good sense of the international climate. I don't think books will ever die. Technology is great, but frustrating and disappointing at times. Beautiful and well-written books NEVER diappoint!
Safe travels!!!
Jean