Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Carnival, A Street Fair - Its the Miami Book Fair!

Here in New York it is getting dark by 4 pm, and snow is in the air. Dark when you leave for work, dark when you get home - if we don't get out of here soon, I am going to just crawl off and hibernate until Spring. Its a good time of year to move the base of operations south. We head to South Florida, via the Amtrack Autotrain and are probably the only couple under 85. Our room is adorable but tiny. I am intrigued by the teeny bathroom that appears to be just a very small toilet inside a very small closet - but in some miraculous yet unclear way doubles as a shower. "Be careful that you don't push the wrong button when you flush the toilet!" my husband warns. One of these must operate the shower? This is a little like Russian roulette.


We arrive just in time for The 25th Annual Miami International Book Fair! Its a crazy scene, more like a carnival. But there are some serious authors here - Poet Laureate Billy Collins, cookbook author Mario Batali, philospher Cornel West. Also in attendance some heavy hitters like Harper Collins, Random House, Prentice Hall. Saturday I stroll around the Fair; it is a madhouse, with the biggest attraction a book and movie release about a dreamy Teenage Vampire.


One publisher I have been trying to work with now for a year or two now is Pineapple Press. They have beautiful photographic books, primarily on topics having to do with the tropics and South Florida. Another is the University of Florida at Gainesville. I have a nice chat with the folks at each of these booths and end up with some new contact info. Good. Later on, I talk to PR agent Dan Smith whose firm publicizes authors. Another good potential lead.





As the afternoon winds down I sample frozen lemonade, Cuban grill, keep my eye out for Vampires, and get to admire some Very Big Books.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Now as I brace the elements for my daily cup, I can read your blog and hear about your sunny, Floridian adventures from a corner at Ridge Street.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christina! Great to read you are enjoying the sunshine... We cannot complain though, 21 degrees centigrade today, lovely blue skies and people at the beach sunbathing in Barcelona (some even dared to get into the water). My friend from Miami also visited the book fair and found it quite a carnival herself too!
Ciao,
Maria Eugenia

Anonymous said...

Oh Christina - Florida sounds such bliss when reading about it from here in the grey UK!
I am really enjoying your blog, keep up the good work!
Congratulations on the Book Award, one of the books we printed won the Book of the Year award here too - must be down to the excellent printing!!
See you soon
Sue McD