Saturday, December 6, 2008

Art Basel Miami - What's happening on South Beach

It's almost more fun to check out some of the galleries exhibiting outside the Miami Convention Center.

After a thorough tour of the Convention Center, I drive down to South Beach with my friend George Dick, where a number of the famous deco-style hotels on the beach are hosting gallery shows.


The Aqua Hotel is hosting gallery shows in the Wynwood Design District and also at their hotel on South Beach. Each guest room at the hotel has been turned into a small gallery space, and in the central courtyard, you can enjoy free drinks from the open bar and have your own personal poem created for you.

I like the friendly chattiness of the artists and gallery owners who are exhibiting here - since most are not yet really really famous, they are much more open to talking. And I am sure all the free drinks help in this department too! Here's one piece I liked by Shag.


A series of photos by and of Hunter S. Thompson presented by Ammo Books, part of their new limited edition title Gonzo.


















I liked these works by Laura Sanders too. Very evocative of summers and vacations of my childhood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very happy to see you are enjoying the Art Basel Miami!
I only wish I could join you...
xxx
Maria Eugenia