Friday, February 12, 2010

An Artist, A Collector, A Museum

I spent this past week trying to close some deals, drum up new business, and put some trips together to Georgia, The Carolinas, Tennessee, Santa Fe.

In the middle of this, I took a break and went up to The Boca Museum of Art which has a new exhibit of the works of M.C. Escher. I love the fantastic buildings and mazes and landscapes where you think you are getting somewhere but in fact you are getting nowhere. Or - looked at another way - maybe you ARE getting somewhere, but it is somewhere strange and mysterious, somewhere you could only get to in a dream.

I happen to meet up with collector Rock J. Walker, whose collection of Escher's works forms the basis for the Boca exhibition. Walker was prowling the hallways of the gallery - perhaps checking to make sure all the works were hung to his satisfaction. "You know Escher don't you?" he barked. I answered that indeed I did - but I was fascinated to see all the other kinds of works, all the other subject matter, which I hadn't previously associated with Escher. Walker travels the globe, from Amsterdam, to London, to New York, to California buying and selling contemporary artworks. "It's not as glamorous as it sounds" he rumbled. Hmmmm. I wonder.


The exhibition is titled The Magical World of M.C. Escher and runs through April 11, 2010.

No comments: