Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Some More Favorites (second post) - From Across the Pond

I have to admit, I am slightly gleeful whenever I hear how cold it is in New York - because here in Florida 'cold' is waking up to 60 degrees with a daytime temperature of 75. I shiver anyway, just remembering how cold New York City in winter can be! Here in our front yard I get to enjoy the company of these guys - these green parrots fill the air from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale with their boisterous chatter. I love it that these Urban Birds are flying around and living here in among the houses and skyscrapers. Making as much noise as everybody else.

As I mentioned in my last post, I had asked the Mondadori plant in Verona to let me know what some of their favorite projects had been for 2008. Last week's post was about Museum Books. Today I want to highlight some beautiful projects from France and the UK.

From the UK, these vastly different titles were noteworthy: with selections made by Christian Lacroix from the Musee des Artes Decoratifs, Christian Lacroix on Fashion is a "riot of glorious color" so says the Times of London. It is a gorgeous book, published by Thames and Hudson, and printed on one of our more sumptuous paper stocks. This is definitely one for the coffee table to show off my good taste. And speaking, above, of my green feathered neighbors, the second favorite from the UK this year is Rainforest: Light and Spirit. This title is chock full of wonderful illustrations of the flora and fauna of the tropics as illustrated by artist Harry Holcroft. With a foreward by The Prince of Wales. Published by The Antique Collector's Club.


These three titles come from ... Yes: France. I adore the photographer Yves Arthus-Bertrand, whose new book shown here is France From The Air published by Editions de la Martiniere. His previously published, phenomenal, oversized book of photos from the Salon D'Agricole is one of my favorites and I wish he would pack up his camera and come to the US of A, and create a series of photos capturing the American farmer and his animals with a similar compassion and artistry. Maybe with the new administration, the idea of a visit to the States will seem less onerous to the French sensibility ... Also from Editions de la Martiniere, a catalogue of the artwork of the Omo People and Design and a book by Nat Geo France, enormous as usual, on Trees and Forests of The World.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rather cool blog you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.